Saturday, August 15, 2020

Thoughts on Biodiversity Project

 Final and not so final thoughts. 

As I began to research this area, I knew that it would be a challenge.  It is much easier to study a park or a conservation area with borders that are easily searched.  Every map project or survey that I did I had to approximate what the boundaries of my study area would be.  That experience may be something that many conservation managers find themselves doing as well.  If there is a segment of a preserve that they want to study, there wouldn't be predetermined borders. 

I also learned that there is a fair amount of written information out there, but again, it was not easily found.  There were several plans and proposals that had been produced for Hopewell Big woods and published.  They had a wealth of background and information. I made a few contacts that I am going to be staying in touch with.  It took me some time to find the right people in the organization, but I did.  The way this conservation area is managed is by team groups and leaders.  So even though it spans several different governmental levels, counties, and conservation groups they have implemented a hierarchy that works for them.   People with interests, skills, and backgrounds take on the project goal that matches and there is a team leader that is in charge,  They meet periodically to assess the status of the project and it's goals. I was given contact information for the Forestry Goal Group and the Cultural Resources Goal Group.  I plan on learning more about the tree and plan needs in the HBW and I will be scheduling a tour with Jay Erb a ranger with Chester County Parks.

This project has also shown me that you can live nearby a resource and not know the diversity that is being provided.  I have talked with coworkers, friends, and family and most did not know much of what is located in the Hopewell Big Woods.  I would like to see more people understand the history of the area and also the natural resources that HBW provides.  If an area is to be protected, people have to know the worth of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment